Digital Solutions: The EU’s FENIX project – a platform for more efficient and climate-friendly logistics chains
FENIX = Federated European Network of Information eXchange in LogistiX
Development of a European federated architecture for data sharing serving the European logistics community
- More transparency through real-time information
- Standardized interfaces for ETA, etc.
- Innovative software modules (SDK) from the cloud
- Intermodal transport solutions within EU guidelines
Development, testing and validating practice-relevant services, e.g.:
- Container arrival times (ETA)
- Digitization of customs systems
- CO2 monitoring
- Overcome the fragmented goods transportation causing economic bottlenecks in the EU member states
- Harmonize and optimize cross-border logistics along selected European transport corridors
- Establish ICT standards for seamless communication of cargo flow addressing all modes of transport
Partners with profound market knowledge develop an architecture for a collaborative IT environment bringing together logistics information systems on an operational level
for example, use the patented system in China and Europe and have reduced harmful emissions by an average of 20 percent (saving of 468 kg CO2 per HGV within one month). Fuel costs also went down by as much as 15 percent. This solution starts by analyzing
individual driver behavior. The app helps drivers to develop a more environmentally focused driving style. A cloud backend with corresponding dashboards helps fleet operators to manage their vehicle fleets as efficiently as possible (including up-to-date positioning of each vehicle).
In 11/2020, LCMM has been awarded with the "#GreenMagenta" label of Deutsche Telekom.
Impact measurement: EcoSIM
Sustainability Challenges we are facing is that although the state-of-the-art SIM card is the eSim, we still sell 9 million SIM cards per year.
Our solution, from 2022, the environmental footprint of physical SIM cards will be further reduced by using recycled material instead of virgin plastic.
The offer pays off on the following SDGs:
· SDG 12 - Using recycled material instead of virgin plastic
With an annual sales volume of 9 million SIM cards, we save 81 tCO2e annually with the EcoSIM.
We have labeled this solution #GreenMagenta.
Achieving more together: international collaboration
“IT remarketing” project
Together against conflict resources
Telekom has been supporting the Responsible Minerals Initiative (RMI) since 2008. The RMI is the largest initiative in the economy for responsible raw material procurement. Its aim is to identify conflict raw materials and to prevent their extraction and trading with them. The RMI goes back to a working group founded in 2008 by the Global enabling Sustainability Initiative and Responsible Business Alliance for the sustainable extraction of raw materials. Since then, the number of metalworking and smelting companies that participate in the RMI has grown steadily.