Migration to IP technology
Internet access on planes
Together with satellite company Inmarsat, Deutsche Telekom is offering the fastest inflight broadband service for European travelers.
The European Aviation Network (EAN) has been developed by Inmarsat and Deutsche Telekom in partnership with leading European companies such as Thales, Nokia, Airbus, and Cobham. It marks a paradigm shift in the airline passenger experience, with incomparable speeds, uninterrupted coverage and significantly lower latency than any other inflight Wi-Fi network in the continent.
The award-winning connectivity solution has been available to over 85 million passengers to date, travelling on more than 650.000 flights throughout Europe, covering key destinations such as London, Madrid, Barcelona, Geneva and Rome. EAN has now been activated in 275 aircraft and is currently available with British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Aegean Airlines.
Digital Solutions: Connected Car – preventing traffic jams with connected cars
T-Systems has been developing and operating Daimler’s Connected Car platform (Daimler vehicle backend) worldwide since 2013. The platform is the technical basis for the Live Traffic service, which provides drivers with real-time traffic information, Live Traffic prevents about 30 percent of traffic jams per vehicle. This means the approximately 24 million vehicles equipped with Live Traffic consumed about 26 million liters less fuel. This translates into CO2 savings of around 65,000 metric tons.
Digital Solutions: SHOW – Connecting automated vehicle fleets with the main axes of local public transport, making urban mobility more sustainable and environmentally friendly.
SHOW aims to support the deployment of shared, connected and electrified automation in urban transport, to advance sustainable urban mobility.
- Demonstrations in 20 cities across Europe
- Integration of automated fleets in Public Transport
- Including 69 partners from 13 EU-countries
- International cooperation with organizations from the US, South Korea, Australia and China
- Reduction of 20% energy consumption and 10% emissions
- Reduction of overall number of private vehicles through intelligent combination of smart Public Transport solutions
- Improved traffic flow
- Establish new business models and improve virtual validation