With around 143 million mobile customers and 31 million fixed-line connections, more than 17 million of which are broadband, we are one of the leading integrated telecommunications companies worldwide. We provide fixed-network/broadband, mobile, Internet, and IPTV products and services for consumers, and information and communication technology (ICT) solutions for business and corporate customers. We have an international focus and are represented in around 50 countries. In the 2013 financial year, we generated almost 58 percent of our Group revenue of 60.1 billion euros outside Germany. Overall, we employ around 228,600 people (December 31, 2013).
The Group is expressly committed to its corporate responsibility and bases its actions on economic as well as social and ecological criteria. In line with our goal of becoming a global leader in connected life and work, we plan to lead the way in corporate responsibility (CR) too.
We increased net revenue by 3.4 percent compared with the prior year to 60.1 billion euros in the 2013 reporting year. Our United States operating segment in particular contributed to this revenue trend as a result of the first-time inclusion (as of May 1, 2013) of the mobile communications company, MetroPCS, which merged with T-Mobile USA, and continued strong customer additions on the back of our Un-carrier strategy. Intense competition, the in some cases substantial price changes imposed by regulatory authorities, and the still strained economic situation in many countries of our Europe operating segment had a negative effect. Our Germany operating segment held its own, particularly in the mobile market, in the prevailing regulatory and competitive environment, but recorded a slight decline in revenue overall, mainly due to lower revenue in the traditional fixed network.
Group net profit increased to 0.9 billion euros. In the prior year, we recorded a net loss of around 5.4 billion euros, mainly due to the recognition of an impairment loss in connection with the business combination of T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS.
For detailed information about the Group's performance and Telekom’s financial data, please refer to the 2013 Annual Report.
The following graphic provides an overview of organizational structure of our Group, which we will explain below.
The organizational structure at a glance.
- Germany: Our Germany operating segment comprises all fixed-network and mobile activities in Germany. In addition, it provides wholesale telecommunications services for the Group's other operating segments.
- USA: The United States operating segment combines all mobile activities in the U.S. market.
- Europe: The Europe operating segment comprises all fixed-network and mobile operations of the national companies in Greece, Romania, Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Croatia, the Netherlands, Slovakia, Austria, Albania, the F.Y.R.O. Macedonia, and Montenegro, as well as the joint venture in the UK. It also includes the International Carrier Sales & Solutions unit, which mainly provides wholesale telecommunications services for the Group's other operating segments. The Europe operating segment also offers ICT services to business customers in individual national companies.
- Systems Solutions: The Systems Solutions operating segment bundles business with ICT products and solutions for large multinational corporations under the T-Systems brand. It offers its customers information and communication technology from a single source and develops and operates infrastructure and industry solutions for multinational corporations and public institutions. The products and services it offers range from standard products and IP-based high-performance networks through to complete ICT solutions.
- Group Headquarters & Group Services: This segment is comprised of service headquarters and companies affiliated with Deutsche Telekom AG that are not classified under an operating segment.